Have you ever been in a pinch and needed an impressive, “tastes-like-homemade”, dessert in a hurry? This Quick & Easy Skillet Apple Pie is the answer.
You start with an entire stick of butter, melted in a skillet and simmered with brown sugar to create a caramel base for the pie. That’s right! The crust and filling go ON TOP of the buttery caramel mixture!
With the help of prepared pie crust and canned apple pie filling, this sensational skillet dessert is ready to go into the oven in 10 minutes or less.
Thirty minutes later, you’ve got hot, buttery apple pie, ready to be topped with vanilla ice cream.
Of course, you could make this completely from scratch and it would be amazing. But it’s pretty amazing as is, and something about baking it in a skillet gives this pie a rustic, made-from-scratch feel.
Honestly, everyone will think you spent hours rolling crust and slicing apples–nobody has to know how easy this is!Print
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 (21 oz.) can apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Remove one tablespoon of butter for the top crust.
- Add the brown sugar and stir well. Continue cooking for a few minutes until the mixture just begins to bubble and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and lay one pie crust in the skillet, over the melted butter and brown sugar mixture. Spread the apple pie filling evenly over the crust.
- In a small bowl, toss together the white sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar over the apple pie filling.
- Top the filling with the second pie crust, folding the edges over to form a border.
- Brush the top crust with the reserved 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar, as desired.
- Cut vents in the center of the pie. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Serving Size: 8
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Food Network.