EASY REFRIGERATOR PICKLES — You’ll never buy store-bought dill pickles again after trying this easy, refrigerated version made with Kirby cucumbers.
Everyone in my family loves pickles, so when I spotted Kirby cucumbers at the farmers’ market this week, I knew just what to do with them.
They’re just the right size for making Easy Refrigerator Pickles, which is probably why they’re considered the classic pickling cuke.
Although you can preserve pickles using the water bath method of canning, I prefer making refrigerator pickles. They keep for up to three months, and my family has no problem eating them in that time frame.
This recipe is pretty forgiving in terms of the herbs and spices, so feel free to add a bit less or more if you’d like. And it really is easy.
Honestly, the hardest part is peeling all those garlic cloves!
You can also add carrots, cauliflower, jalapenos, or even green beans to the jar with your cucumbers if you’d like to make a variety of pickled veggies.
This is just a great, general all around recipe for pickling things. Sometimes I double the batch and share with my neighbors.
This recipe will make 4-5 pint jars, depending on how tightly you pack your cucumbers. My family will eat an entire pint in one sitting, so even five jars doesn’t last long around here!
But if you don’t eat your pickles that fast, you’ve got 3 months to eat them all. I’m pretty sure they’ll be gone long before that though!
Be sure to save this Potato Chip Crusted Grilled Corn recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
You’ll never buy store-bought dill pickles again after trying this easy, refrigerated version made with Kirby cucumbers.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 pints
- Category: Preserves
- Method: Boiled
- Cuisine: American
- 12-14 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 6 teaspoons salt
- 4-5 sprigs fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 6-8 Kirby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- In a medium saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and salt and return to a boil, stirring until the salt dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Divide the dill, seeds and peppercorns between 4-5 clean, clear pint jars. Remove garlic from brine and add 2-3 cloves to each jar. Pack the jars tightly with cucumber slices.
- Return the brine to the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, pour the brine over the cucumbers to cover completely. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
Makes 4 pints.
Keywords: pickles, cucumbers
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Food Network