Honestly, I’m not the kind of person to go to the trouble of making my own hamburger buns. But it was one of those days where I realized I’d planned burgers for dinner but forgot to get buns. Which means I needed some Quick and Easy Homemade Hamburger Buns.
I’d already been to the grocery store several times that week (I think I’d actually been earlier that day!) and I just didn’t feel like going again.
I’d seen several recipes floating around for quick homemade hamburger buns, so I figured I’d give it a shot. Well, I was pleasantly surprised!
The whole process took less than an hour, and was almost as quick and easy as making a trip to the store. And the homemade buns were, of course, so much better than any store bought variety.
I topped mine with an “everything” topping of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder and dried onion, but they’d be great with no special toppings and all.
These quick and easy homemade buns really made our burgers taste extra special.Print
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg and salt.
- Add the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the bread flour. Gradually add the last cup of flour until a soft dough forms (you may not use all the flour).
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal pieces (depending on the size of bun you want) and shape each into a ball.
- Place 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake buns for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Food.com.