I’m always on a quest to make crispy, oven-baked fries, and I’ve finally discovered a recipe that I really love. Not only do these Ultimate Crispy Baked Fries come out nice and crisp, they are coated in a seasoning mix that really puts them over the top!
They do take a little extra effort, but it’s totally worth it! The key is slicing your potatoes very thin–I aim for about an eighth of an inch.
And don’t skip soaking the potatoes in water. This removes some of the starch from the potatoes and really does help them crisp up better in the oven. Just be sure to pat them dry before seasoning and baking.
The first time I made these, they were gone in about five minutes flat, leaving everyone at the table asking “Are there more fries?”
Whatever the main dish was that night, it definitely was not the star of the show.
The recipe makes enough seasoning mix for several batches of fries. I just keep it in an airtight container in my pantry so it’s ready to use whenever I get a craving for crispy, oven-baked fries.Print
Ultimate Crispy Baked Fries
For the Seasoning3 tablespoons paprika
- 1/8 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
For the fries4 medium Russet potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
- In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the seasoning.
- Slice the potatoes into thin, even wedges. Place in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Drain water from potatoes and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- In a large, dry bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of seasoning. Pour an additional 1-2 tablespoons oil on a large cookie sheet and spread evenly with a pastry brush.
- Place the potatoes on the cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove potatoes from the oven and flip, keeping them in a single layer. Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- *Note: Total baking time will depend on the thickness of your potatoes.
- Serving Size: 4
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from The Recipe Rebel.