There has been an abundance of kale at my farmers’ market the last few weeks, so I decided to bring home a bunch and see what I could do. I never suspected that this Kale and Almond Salad with Lemon and Parmesan would become one of my family’s all-time favorite salads!
There’s a reason kale has become so popular lately. It’s a great source of calcium, potassium, iron, and vitamins A, C and K.
And to think, 20 years ago, when I was in college and worked as a waitress, the only thing we used kale for was to garnish the salad bar.
My family doesn’t normally get very excited about kale, so I’ve been hesitant to bring any home. But May has been unseasonably wet and cool here in Colorado, which means we haven’t seen as much variety at the farmers’ market.
I can’t tell you how surprised I was at how much my family–myself included–loved this salad! Shocked, really. Everyone went back for seconds and my 9 year-old at four servings!
If anything, it’s proof that sometimes just a few fresh, simple ingredients are all you need to create an amazing dish.
If you’ve got a bunch of kale and you don’t know what to do with it, I highly recommend this salad!
Be sure to save this Kale and Almond Salad with Lemon and Parmesan recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 shallot minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry kale and chop or slice into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss kale with toasted almonds. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together minced shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Toss kale with desired amount of lemon vinaigrette. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Serving Size: 4
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Heather Christo.