EASY PINEAPPLE ORANGE LAYER CAKE — Infused with tropical flavors like orange and pineapple, and frosted with a pineapple whipped cream, this easy layered cake is as pretty as it is delicious.
This Easy Pineapple Orange Cake is so moist and delicious, and more importantly, it’s pretty quick and easy to put together.
Layer cakes are not my forte, so if I say it’s easy, well…..that’s really saying something. The biggest trick when it comes to layer cakes is baking your layers in separate pans.
I made this for the office today, and it was a HUGE HIT. People just raved and raved about it. Very easy to make and gets lots of compliments. Thank you so much for adding this to your website. ~ Heidi
I resisted buying a third cake pan for years, and insisted on cutting my cakes in half horizontally when I wanted to make more than two layers.
I don’t usually opt for more than three layers in a cake, but no matter how many layers you want, just get that many cake pans. Trust me on this.
For a less indulgent cake, you can substitute light, fat-free or sugar-free ingredients in this recipe, and replace the oil with applesauce.
Because of the whipped cream topping, it’s best to store any uneaten cake in the refrigerator. This is a perfect dessert for Easter dinner, as well as those warm weather barbecues and summer holiday get-togethers.
My entire family raves every time I make it!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Pineapple Orange Layer Cake
- Yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil
- Canned mandarin oranges
- Sour cream
- Crushed pineapple
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Heavy cream
Easy Pineapple Orange Layer Cake
Infused with tropical flavors like orange and pineapple, and frosted with a pineapple whipped cream, this easy layered cake is as pretty as it is delicious.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the cake
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the frosting
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3.5 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (8 or 9 inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil, oranges, eggs and sour cream until well blended.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the crushed pineapple and instant pudding mix.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the pineapple mixture into the whipped cream to combine.
- Frost in between each layer, and the top and sides of the cake with the pineapple whipped cream mixture. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: pineapple, orange, cake
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home