EASY PINEAPPLE ORANGE LAYER CAKE — Infused with tropical flavors like orange and pineapple, and frosted with a pineapple whipped cream, this easy layered cake is as pretty as it is delicious.
Layer cakes are not my forte, so if I say it’s easy, well…..that’s really saying something. The biggest trick when it comes to layer cakes is baking your layers in separate pans.
I resisted buying a third cake pan for years, and insisted on cutting my cakes in half horizontally when I wanted to make more than two layers.
I don’t usually opt for more than three layers in a cake, but no matter how many layers you want, just get that many cake pans. Trust me on this.
For a less indulgent cake, you can substitute light, fat-free or sugar-free ingredients in this recipe, and replace the oil with applesauce.
Because of the whipped cream topping, it’s best to store any uneaten cake in the refrigerator. This is a perfect dessert for Easter dinner, as well as those warm weather barbecues and summer holiday get-togethers. My entire family raves every time I make it!Print
Easy Pineapple Orange Layer Cake
Infused with tropical flavors like orange and pineapple, and frosted with a pineapple whipped cream, this easy layered cake is as pretty as it is delicious.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 servings
For the cake
- 1 package (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the frosting
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 package (3.5 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (8 or 9 inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, oil, oranges, eggs and sour cream until well blended.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the crushed pineapple and instant pudding mix.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold the pineapple mixture into the whipped cream to combine.
- Frost in between each layer, and the top and sides of the cake with the pineapple whipped cream mixture. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 8
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home