I love coleslaw! The rest of my family, not so much. But even they had to admit that this particular coleslaw is pretty darn good. If you ask me, this is hands down the best coleslaw recipe I’ve ever tried. Ever. And I’ve tried a lot of coleslaw recipes.
I often use prepared coleslaw mix if I’m pressed for time, and just add the additional vegetables to the mix. This coleslaw is fabulous on its own, and the flavors are perfect to accompany fish tacos. The dressing can get a little runny after the coleslaw has been sitting for awhile, so I like to reserve a bit of dressing to stir in just before serving. I know I should never say “never” but I’m going to take my chances on this recipe. I’ll never make another coleslaw again!
Coleslaw with Creamy Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, julienned
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, dill, sugar, celery salt and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, onions and peppers, and toss until everything is well coated in the dressing. Re-season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serving Size: 6
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Bobby Flay.