Mornings start early around here–5:15 am to be exact. Our high-school Junior is out the door by 5:45 for his 6:00 am zero hour class. Our eighth grader leaves at 7:15, followed by the fourth grader at 8:00 am. Which means breakfast has to be quick, easy, and often portable. These No-Bake Honey Oat Granola Bars with Post Honey Bunches of Oats are the perfect solution!
In spite of our hectic mornings, I also want breakfast to be healthy and filling. Sometimes we have time to sit down to a bowl of our favorite breakfast cereal, but most mornings we need something we can grab and go.
Which is why I love having a supply of our favorite homemade granola bars handy. I’ve made this recipe many different ways, with a variety of mix-ins, but the version made with Post Honey Bunches of Oats is our all-time favorite.
These granola bars are so easy to make, and they freeze well, so you can always keep a supply handy. Just remember to pull them out of the freezer the night before.
Once you have your basic ingredients–the Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal and the rolled oats–you can change the other mix-ins to suit your tastes.
Our favorite version includes coconut, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Dried fruits or other nuts are great too.
And since February is American Heart Month, try tossing in some wheat germ or flax seed for added heart-health benefits.
Everything comes together with a peanut butter and honey mixture that cooks for just a minute on the stove top. Honestly, I have a hard time not eating the stuff right out of the bowl.
And did I mention that these bars are great in lunch boxes and as after school snacks?
I recently stocked up on Post cereal at Walgreen’s while I was out running errands. Even if I’m not planning to make granola bars, I like to have a supply of breakfast cereal handy for our busy morning routine.
If I spot a good deal while I’m out and about, I’ll buy several boxes and stash them away in the pantry for later.
That way I don’t have to worry about running out for ingredients when I decide to make up a pan of our favorite granola bars. Hopefully you’ll love them as much as we do!
- 3 cups Post Honey Bunches of Oats cerea
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine Honey Bunches of Oats, rolled oats, almonds, coconut, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the honey, brown sugar and salt to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until well combined.
- Press the mixture into a lightly greased, 9×13 inch baking pan (a lightly greased sheet of wax paper works well for this step).
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days. For longer storage, wrap each bar in wax paper and freeze in a zip top storage bag.
- Serving Size: 16
This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Post Pebbles, but all my opinions are my own.