If you’ve ever been to Taco Time, you’ll understand how excited I am about these Crisp Bean Burritos.
I spent my high school years in a small town in Wyoming, and long before McDonalds came along, we had Taco Time. Every time I’d go, I’d order the same thing–the Crisp Bean Burrito.
If you’ve never been to Taco Time, you’ll probably take one look and the recipe and think, “Really?” It’s just refried beans and cheese rolled up in a flour tortilla and fried.
I can’t explain why it’s so good. It just is. You’re going to have to trust me.
I don’t live anywhere near a Taco Time now, but I still get cravings for Crisp Bean Burritos, so I was beyond excited to come across this recipe.
Honestly, it’s so simple, I don’t know why I’d never thought of making them myself before.
I suppose you could bake these if you wanted them to be healthier, and actually, I don’t fry foods all that often, but I wanted these to taste as much like the real thing as possible.
The fried tortilla is what makes the Crisp Bean Burrito crisp, after all.
These definitely satisfy my Tex-Mex fast food cravings. In fact, a craving struck while I was posting the recipe, so I’m making them again tonight for dinner.Print
Crisp Bean Burritos (Taco Time Copycat Recipe)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Salsa, for dipping
- In a medium bowl, mix together refried beans and taco seasoning.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the refried bean mixture down the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese.
- Roll tortillas up tightly, keeping ends open.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully lay 2-3 burritos in the skillet, seam side down, and cook for 30-60 seconds, or until golden brown. Carefully turn the burritos and cook the other side until golden. Remove from oil and lay on a paper towel lined plate or baking pan.
- Repeat the frying process until all the burritos are cooked.
- Serve with salsa for dipping.
- Serving Size: 6
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Life in the Lofthouse.