Two of my favorite breakfast treats–coffeecake and blueberry muffins–come together in this fabulous recipe. Really, these muffins are like little blueberry coffeecakes, loaded with a nutty crumb topping (the best part, if you ask me). My family loved these muffins as much as I did. I can tell when they take two muffins for breakfast instead of just one that it’s a winning recipe. And they all took two, every single morning. Which means the muffins didn’t last long….although I did manage to get some into the freezer for later. The muffins freeze beautifully and make a quick grab-and-go breakfast or a delicious after school snack. Don’t be afraid to pile on the crumb topping. You’ll be glad you did!
Blueberry Coffeecake Muffins
For the muffins3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries + 2 teaspoons flour
- For the topping
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the 2 teaspoons of flour until well coated. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Fill the prepared muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Prepare the topping by combining the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle the muffins generously with the crumb topping. You may not use all of the topping, but you should use most of it.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks for 5-10 minutes before removing muffins from pans to cool completely.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.