My entire family loves wings! My nine year-old, however, is a wing fanatic! Barbecue is definitely his favorite, but he chose these zesty orange glazed wings for dinner recently and loved them–almost as much as barbecue. Personally, I loved them more than barbecue and even traditional Buffalo wings (which I really, really like).
The combination of sweet and spicy flavors is a perfect accompaniment to the crispy chicken. And yes, you can bake up some pretty crispy wings in your oven. I make all my wings that way. It’s so much healthier and easier than frying. If you’re looking for a twist on classic wings, I highly recommend giving these a try!
Spicy Baked Orange Chicken Wings
For the chicken3 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Rinse wings and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in an even layer on prepared pans.
- Bake, rotating pans half-way through, until fully cooked, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove wings from oven and transfer to a large bowl or high-sided baking pan.
- While the chicken cooks, make the sauce. Combine the sesame oil and olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the red pepper flakes, orange marmalade and hoisin sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes; keep warm until chicken is ready.
- Pour the orange sauce over the cooked wings, tossing to coat, and serve immediately.