You need to know, right off the bat, that I feel slightly guilty calling these muffins. If you’ve ever had Costco Double Chocolate Muffins, you know what I mean.
And of course, there’s the fact that they’re made with a chocolate cake mix. It’s a dead giveaway. But if we call them muffins, we can eat them for breakfast, and I’m good with that.
Costco muffins are enormous, so I elected to make mine in a regular sized muffin tin. I will say–and my family agreed–that these do taste very much like the Costco variety.
I like to use mini chocolate chips, but the regular size will work too. Either way, these are some of the tastiest chocolate “muffins” you’ll ever try!Print
Double Chocolate Muffins (Costco Copycat Recipe)
- Yield: 24
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffins tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Mix in oil, milk, water, vanilla.
- Stir in the sour cream, cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in 2 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the batter. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.