Any time I can come up with an excuse to serve Chili Cheese Fritos for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner), I’m in! Frittatas are also one of my family’s favorite meals–we actually have them more often for dinner than breakfast, because they’re just so easy to throw together on busy week nights or lazy weekends.
You could certainly add meat–sausage would be great–or other vegetables to this dish. That’s one of the many things I love about frittatas. You can add all kinds of leftovers and odds and ends. And of course, Chili Cheese Fritos make everything better!
Chili Cheese Frito Frittata
- 10 eggs
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups Chili Cheese Fritos corn chips
- 4-6 ounces shredded Cheddar-jack cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and hot sauce, along with a dash of salt and pepper; set aside. Preheat broiler.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
- Lightly crush about 1 1/2 cups of the Fritos and add them to the pan.
- Pour in the egg mixture and cook until the edges are just starting to set, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese.
- Carefully place the skillet under the broiler and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the top of the frittata is set and golden brown. Garnish with additional Chili Cheese Fritos, then cool a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Girl Carnivore