Honestly, I can’t tell you what makes this banana cake so outstanding. The original recipe was actually called “To Die for Banana Cake.” It’s really not much of an exaggeration. I suspect the sour cream might be the secret, but really, the ingredient list seems so average. Yet somehow the result is the best banana cake I’ve ever tried. And believe me, I’ve tried my share of banana cakes.
My family felt the same way–none of us could stop eating it. Banana cake is okay for breakfast, right? Because of the bananas. This recipe can easily be halved if you’d like a smaller cake, or you just don’t have enough ripe bananas for the 9×13 version.
Best Banana Cake with Vanilla Frosting
Cake1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Frosting1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner' s sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl,cream together sugar,sour cream,eggs,and 1/4 cup softened butter.
- Stir in mashed bananas and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- Add the flour,salt,and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake about 25-30 minutes,or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To make frosting,beat butter and confectioner 's sugar together until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and mix until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from ButterYum