CRANBERRY SWIRL BREAD — A delicious yeast loaf with a pretty cranberry pecan swirl throughout. Perfect for the holiday season.
Oh my heavens! This beautiful Cranberry Swirl Bread may be the best thing that ever happened to the humble cranberry. And I love all things cranberry, so that’s really saying something!
Unlike most cranberry breads, this is a yeast based loaf, which makes it incredibly hard to resist. I may have eaten three slices for breakfast alone. And besides being tasty, the cranberry nut swirl is just so pretty!
This did make a large loaf (bigger than I expected), so do use a full size loaf pan. Not that I’m complaining. In fact, this bread was gone so fast, next time I’m going to double the recipe!
I topped my loaf with a simple, powdered sugar glaze, but even without that, it was amazing. I’m thinking it would make some fabulous French toast too!
And if you can bear to part with it, this Cranberry Swirl bread would be a perfect holiday gift for neighbors and teachers. It will definitely become a holiday tradition at my house!
Be sure to save this Cranberry Swirl Bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Cranberry Swirl Bread
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 1 cup of flour.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat water, milk and butter, until butter is melted. Cool until mixture is lukewarm (about 120 degrees). Add liquid to dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough flour, one cup at a time, until a smooth dough is formed (you may not use the last 1/2 cup).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5-6 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cranberries, brown sugar, cornstarch and water. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and cranberries burst, 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, lemon juice and pecans; cool.
- Punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 10×20 inch rectangle. Spread the filling to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Transfer, seam side down, to a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan, arranging in a zigzag fashion to fit. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaf for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Confectioners’ Sugar Icing (optional): Mix 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon milk. Drizzle over cooled bread.
Prep time includes rising.
- Serving Size: 8
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home