The minute fresh cranberries appear in stores, I buy bags of them to keep in my freezer. Some might call it hoarding. I prefer to call it “being prepared.” And these cranberry dark chocolate muffins are a perfect example of exactly what I like to be prepared for.
They’re the perfect combination of sweet and tart, and make a great snack or breakfast on the go. I can’t think of a single good reason not to enjoy them year round. So hurry out and grab a few extra bags of fresh cranberries to stash in the freezer, because you’re going to want to make these more than once. And if the urge strikes in the middle of May, you’ll be so glad you have those cranberries!
If you’ve never tried the method outlined in this recipe, which involves baking the muffins initially at a rather high temperature, then finishing them at a more traditional temperature, I highly recommend giving it a whirl. It results in some really nice, high muffin tops!
Cranberry Dark Chocolate Muffins
- 3 cups + 1 teaspoon flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, and both sugars until combined. Mix in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Toss cranberries with 1 teaspoon flour. Gently fold into batter, along with chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake for an additional 13-15 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire racks to cool completely.