I’m so excited about the new line of seasonal baking mixes from Pillsbury®! Just in time for the holidays, they’ve got fun and festive offerings like Holiday Sugar Cookie, Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Mix, Dark Chocolate Premium Cake Mix and my personal favorite, Creamy Supreme Peppermint Frosting! There are also new holiday inspired Funfetti frosting colors, like Garland Green and Rudolf Red.
Honestly, I had trouble deciding what to bake first. Ultimately my love of dark chocolate and peppermint won out. Throw another one of my favorites into the mix–toasted marshmallows–and you’ve got one amazing holiday cookie!
Did I mention the peppermint frosting tucked under the layer of chocolate ganache? I started with a cookie base, made with the Dark Chocolate Cake Mix (because I love dark chocolate and my husband loves cake mix cookies), but the Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Mix would make a great base too.
A marshmallow toasts atop the cookie base during the last few minutes of baking. When everything cools down, I spread a dollop of peppermint frosting over the marshmallow, creating a soft, gooey peppermint filling. Don’t worry about things looking perfect after this step, because you’re going to cover it all with more chocolate and peppermint!
For me, simple shortcuts are so important to a stress free holiday season. Made completely from scratch, these beautiful little cookies would have been much more time consuming. But with the help of a Pillsbury cake mix and prepared frosting, they came together in no time. And I love that the peppermint frosting is white, which makes it so versatile for all of your holiday baking needs.
You can see Pillsbury’s entire line of seasonal holiday products on the Pillsbury Baking website and Facebook page and the Pillsbury Baking Pinterest boards are full of fun holiday baking ideas to help you celebrate the season more!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallow Cookies
- 1 (15.25 oz.) Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Premium cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 (16 oz.) can Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Peppermint Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 12 small peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and flour until well mixed. Stir in the eggs, oil and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies for 6 minutes, then remove from oven. While cookies bake, cut marshmallows in half with kitchen shears or scissors.
- Place 1/2 a marshmallow, cut side down, in the center of each cookie. Return cookies to oven for another 2-3 minutes, until marshmallows are puffy and just beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. When cookies are cool, spread about 1 teaspoon of peppermint frosting over the tops of the marshmallows.
- To prepare ganache, heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is just beginning to simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in chopped chocolate until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Allow ganache to cool for about 10 minutes. It should be the consistency of soft pudding.
- Carefully spread 2-3 teaspoons of ganache over the marshmallow, leaving the cookie exposed. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
*I have been compensated by the J.M. Smucker Company to promote its Pillsbury Fall products, but the opinions expressed are my own. ©/® The J.M. Smucker Company. Pillsbury is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, LLC, used under license.