The first time I made this blackberry sour cream pie, I unknowingly bought way too many blackberries, so I decided to just go ahead and make two pies. Oh my goodness! I’m so glad I did, because both of them were gone within 24 hours. I do have three hungry boys to feed (four if you count my husband), but still, I think that’s some kind of record.
Honestly, when my oldest son chose this pie for dessert one weekend, I wasn’t all that excited about it. It just didn’t look like much of a pie to me. And the short and strange ingredient list had me worried too. I should know by now that my kids have quite a knack for choosing delicious recipes, and this pie was no exception.
To say we all loved it would be an understatement. And it was so easy! I know blackberry pie might not be a long-standing tradition on the Thanksgiving table, but I am definitely adding it to our menu. Sometimes, you just need to start new traditions!
*Note: You can use fresh or frozen blackberries, but the cooking times are quite different, so be sure to make note of that in the recipe. I used frozen berries and a Marie Callender frozen pie crust.
Blackberry Sour Cream Pie
- 1 recipe for a single crust pie, or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh blackberries or 1 (16-oz.) package frozen blackberries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Let frozen berries stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. Bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine sour cream, sugar, flour, and salt.
- Add the blackberries and stir gently to combine.
- Spoon filling into pre-baked crust. To prevent over-browning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes if using fresh berries, or 50 minutes if using frozen berries. Remove foil.
- Bake 15-20 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and appears set.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve or cover and refrigerate.