I love soup weather! Especially when I find an easy, delicious soup recipe like this Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a regular menu item at my house. And yes, sometimes I just open up the can of Campbell’s. But it doesn’t take much longer to make this version from scratch.
This soup will take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, and my whole family loves it–even the ones who would normally turn up their noses at the sight of carrots floating in their soup (which, let’s be honest, is pretty much all of them).
I think the trick to this soup–at least for my family–was using the food processor to make sure all of the veggies were in tiny bits.
I even pureed the diced tomatoes before I added them to the soup–not a big deal since my food processor was already dirty from chopping the carrots and onions.
You could also use an immersion blender right in the pot to make it more smooth and creamy. If you want to cut back on the calories a bit, you can replace the cream with half and half or milk.
Like I said, we all have those days where we need to use the canned stuff. But if you have 30 minutes to spare, this homemade tomato soup is so much better than the canned stuff!
This reminded me a lot of another family favorite, Creamy Tomato, Sausage and Tortellini Soup. Definitely worth a try if you’re looking for something a bit heartier.
Be sure to save this Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup
This creamy homemade tomato soup is ready in about 30 minutes, and so much better than the canned stuff!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrot, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Whisk in broth and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream.
- Add Parmesan and heat through until cheese is melted. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in basil just before serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Creamy Tomato Sausage Tortellini Soup
Cheesy Beefaroni Soup
Creamy Tuscan Ravioli Soup
Who Dished It Up First: Adpated from Today’s Mama.