CREAMY TOMATO PARMESAN SOUP — Homemade tomato soup with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. You many never eat the canned stuff again after trying this easy recipe.
I love soup weather! Especially when I find an easy, delicious soup recipe like this Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a regular menu item at my house. And yes, sometimes I just open up the can of Campbell’s. But it doesn’t take much longer to make this version from scratch.
Made this soup tonight and it’s a winner! The flavor is really fantastic. Added dried basil since I didn’t have any fresh, and topped the soup with shaved parmesan. Really delicious scooped up with some crusty bread! ~ Julia
This soup will take you about 30 minutes from start to finish, and my whole family loves it–even the ones who would normally turn up their noses at the sight of carrots floating in their soup (which, let’s be honest, is pretty much all of them).
I think the trick to this soup–at least for my family–was using the food processor to make sure all of the veggies were in tiny bits.
I even pureed the diced tomatoes before I added them to the soup–not a big deal since my food processor was already dirty from chopping the carrots and onions.
You could also use an immersion blender right in the pot to make it more smooth and creamy. If you want to cut back on the calories a bit, you can replace the cream with half and half or milk.
We just finished nice big bowls of this for lunch. It is easy and delicious! I made it with fat free Half & Half and I don’t think you could tell it wasn’t heavy cream. Thanks for the recipe! ~ Anne
Like I said, we all have those days where we need to use the canned stuff. But if you have 30 minutes to spare, this homemade tomato soup is so much better than the canned stuff!
This reminded me a lot of another family favorite, Creamy Tomato, Sausage and Tortellini Soup. Definitely worth a try if you’re looking for something a bit heartier.
Be sure to save this Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup
- Produce: onion, carrot, garlic, fresh basil
- Spices: oregano, salt and pepper
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
Creamy Tomato Parmesan Soup
Homemade tomato soup with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. You many never eat the canned stuff again after trying this easy recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrot, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Whisk in broth and cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Stir in tomatoes and heavy cream.
- Add Parmesan and heat through until cheese is melted. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in basil just before serving.
Keywords: tomato, soup, parmesan
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adpated from Today’s Mama.