INDIVIDUAL BLACK FOREST BROWNIE TRIFLES — Layers of dense chocolate brownie, homemade cherry pie filling, and fresh whipped cream come together in this decadent layered dessert.
My husband is a huge fan of black forest cake–and chocolate covered cherries too–so any time I come up with a chocolate-cherry dessert it’s sure to be a hit. And these Individual Black Forest Brownie Trifles were no exception.
I mean, what’s not to love about layers of chewy brownie, homemade cherry sauce and fresh whipped cream? Nothing, I say. Not one thing!
Yes, you could use canned cherry pie filling, but homemade cherry pie filling is oh so easy to make (with the help of a cherry pitter) and totally worth the extra bit of effort.
If you’re looking to save time with this recipe, go for store-bought brownies (that’s what I did!) and put your efforts into the cherry filling. It’s what makes this dessert extra special!
You could also make these trifles with cubed chocolate cake. I prefer the dense, chewy texture of a brownie, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down a version of this dessert made with chocolate cake.
If you don’t have individual trifle bowls or similar sized glass dishes, you can assemble this dessert in a full size, standard-size trifle dish.
Either way, everyone is going to love this luscious Black Forest dessert!Print
Individual Black Forest Brownie Trifles
Layers of dense chocolate brownie, homemade cherry pie filling, and fresh whipped cream come together in this decadent layered dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Refrigerated
- Cuisine: American
- 1 square (9×9-inch) pan brownies, store bought or from your favorite mix or recipe
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Cut brownies into 1-inch cubes; set aside
- In a medium saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, water and cornstarch.
- Stir in cherries and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until cherries begin to soften and mixture thickens and resembles pie filling; cool.
- Meanwhile, whip heavy cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Divide half of the brownies between 4 individual glass bowls, followed by half of the cherry filling, then half of the whipped cream. Repeat once more, ending with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Keywords: brownie, trifle, cherry, chocolate
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.