You may remember the Orange Creamsicle Rolls I posted awhile back. I thought it might be fun to experiment with a strawberry version. The result was nothing short of strawberry sweet roll heaven!
I used the cake mix sweet roll recipe that I used for the orange creamsicle version as a starting point. It does make a lot (2 dozen or more) and I know some folks may not like the idea of starting with a cake mix, so feel free to use your favorite dough recipe instead. But let me tell you why I love this cake mix sweet roll recipe: the rolls stay soft and fresh tasting for days, whereas most homemade sweet rolls I’ve made are fabulous out of the oven, but are already tasting a bit stale by day two.
I used a white cake mix for mine, but I think a strawberry cake mix would be great too!
Fresh Strawberry Sweet Rolls
For the rolls1 box white or strawberry cake mix
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups flour
For the filling1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
For the frosting8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cups mashed strawberries
- In a medium bowl, stir yeast into warm water; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, salt and 4 1/2 cups of the flour. Stir in the yeast and water.
- Gradually add the last 1/2 cup flour (if needed) until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and a soft but slightly sticky dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until dough is doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a large, floured surface and knead once or twice. Roll dough into a rectangle about 12 inches wide, 28 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread soft butter evenly over dough. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, followed by chopped strawberries.
- Once you have spread the filling onto the dough, cut the large rectangle in half to form two smaller rectangles. Starting with a long end, roll each rectangle into a log. Slice the dough into 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place the rolls into 2 greased 9x13 pans (or a 9x13 and a 9x9, depending on how many rolls you have). Cover the rolls and let rise until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- To make the frosting: Whip cream cheese with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the powdered sugar. Stir in the vanilla. Fold in the mashed strawberries until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately spread the strawberry frosting over the hot rolls.