This Made From Scratch, Better Than Anything Peach Cake recipe was inspired by those “better than anything” cakes you’ve probably seen–the really good ones made with a cake mix, sweetened condensed milk and a tub of Cool Whip.
They usually come with something yummy sprinkled on top. I assure you, I’m not opposed to any of those ingredients in any way.
So feel free to use a cake mix and a tub of Cool Whip if you’d like, but I must tell you, the made from scratch version was delicious!
The cake, with a hint of almond flavor, along with the homemade whipped cream, really highlighted the fresh peaches.
Just be sure, when you make the cake, to beat it for as long as the directions indicate. It really makes a difference in the final texture and flavor.
Better Than Anything Peach Cake
A delicious made-from-scratch white cake topped with peach filling, homemade whipped cream and toasted almonds.
For the cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
For the peach filling
- 3 cups chopped, peeled peaches
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed for 6 minutes, until very light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the almond extract and beat for an additional 4-5 minutes on high speed.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the cake in two batches, alternately with the milk. Stir gently until the batter is smooth.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown (do not over bake).
- Meanwhile, prepare the peach filling by combining all of the ingredients except for the almond extract and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract and lemon juice; set aside.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Pierce the cake all over with a fork or skewer. Pour the warm peach sauce over the cake and spread evenly. Cool completely.
- With an electric mixer, beat the whipping cream and 3 tablespoons sugar on high speed until soft peaks form. Spread in an even layer over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds and coconut over the cake just before serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Coconut Tres Leches Cake
Fruit and Pudding Cake
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.