Don’t be scared away by the long list of ingredients in this dish. It’s mostly spices and seasonings and isn’t a sign that this is complicated dish. In fact, it’s pretty easy to throw together, especially in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 4-5 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Rice or Naan Bread (optional)
- Melt butter in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic and ginger and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Garam masala, cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Add the onion and spice mixture to the slow cooker, along with the cubed chicken.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the crushed tomatoes, yogurt and lemon juice. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or about 4 hours on high). About 30 minutes before eating, whisk together the cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour into the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook for an additional 20-30 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired, and serve over rice or with Naan Bread.
- Serving Size: 6