Did you know Funfetti is celebrating its 25th birthday this year? To commemorate the occasion, Pillsbury Baking has introduced 4 new vibrant frosting colors: hot pink, aqua blue, bold purple, and vibrant green.
While the cake is an essential part of any birthday celebration, Funfetti isn’t just for birthdays. One of my favorite things to do with a cake mix–besides make cake–is make cookies. If you’ve ever had cake mix cookies, you know they have a soft and chewy texture that’s perfect for sandwich cookies. And with so many new frosting colors to use as fillings, I couldn’t resist baking up some Funfetti sandwich cookies.
All it takes is a Funfetti cake mix and a few simple ingredients and you can whip up a batch of these colorful cookies in no time (scroll down for recipe). I like to use a cookie scoop to make sure all the cookies are the same size, which is especially important for a sandwich cookie. Using a pastry bag or resealable plastic bag to pipe the filling makes for a prettier cookie too.
If there’s a birthday coming up in your family, here are some additional tips for making the celebration extra special.
Start your birthday celebration first thing in the morning:
While I love going out for a special dinner to commemorate my birthday, breakfast in bed can be another fun way to celebrate. And who says you can’t have cake for breakfast on your birthday? Most cake mixes–including Funfetti–can be adapted to make pancakes or waffles for an especially fun birthday breakfast. For a child’s birthday, start a tradition of adding another pancake to the stack each year.
Share the memories:
Make a photo album to showcase those annual birthday photos of the kids. Or start a special scrapbook to highlight all of your family’s birthday celebrations. Slide shows are also a fun way to use and share photographs. Especially if you show highlights from past birthdays at subsequent celebrations!
Everyone deserves their own birthday cake:
To make a birthday boy or girl feel extra special, try making an individual sized birthday cake just for them. Of course, you’ll want to have a larger cake or cupcakes available for guests. This works especially well for a first birthday because it allows you to capture some memorable photos of your little one making a mess of their cake–and themselves–while still having some cake available for everyone else to eat.
We don’t have any birthdays to celebrate at the moment, but everyone loved the Funfetti sandwich cookies–they were gone by the end of the day!
*I have been compensated by the J.M. Smucker Company to promote its Pillsbury Funfetti products, and they have provided the items for this giveaway, but the opinions expressed are my own.
Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
- 1 (15.25 oz.) Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tub (15.6 oz.) Funfetti frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With an electric mixer, combine cake mix, flour, eggs and oil until well blended. Roll into 1-inch balls, then flatten cookies to about 1/4 inch thickness using a flat-bottomed glass or the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until cookies are just starting to brown. Cool 2 minutes on the pan before turning onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Spoon the Funfetti frosting into a resealable sandwich bag and snip off one corner. Pipe about a tablespoon of frosting into the center of one cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing down until the frosting reaches the edges of the cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.