I’ve tried several recipes for Irish Soda Bread, and this is by far my favorite. It bakes up into such a beautiful loaf that I can hardly believe it isn’t a yeast bread.
Even better, it’s so incredibly easy to make, especially if you’re impatient like me and don’t want to wait around for the dough to rise.
Seriously, you can have a gorgeous loaf of homemade bread on the table in about an hour, from start to finish. My family loves it too!
Like so many delicious breads, Irish Soda Bread is the product of a poor country, made with only the most basic ingredients. Legend has it that the cross was cut on the top before baking to ward off the devil and protect the household.
Irish soda bread often has raisins or currants in it, so feel free to add that if you’d like. For some reason, I tend to only make it near St. Patrick’s Day, but it’s so simple and delicious I really ought to make it more often.
Traditional Irish Soda Bread
Traditional Irish soda bread made with just a few simple ingredients.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually stir in the buttermilk until the dough comes together in a slightly sticky ball.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead gently a few times. Form the dough into a ball and then press into the prepared pan so that the dough resembles a large disk. The dough should reach the edges of the pan, but may spring back slightly.
- Cut an X into the dough with a sharp knife, about 1/4 of an inch deep. Cover the pan of dough with another round cake pan turned upside down.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then remove the top pan and bake uncovered for about 10 minutes more or until the crust is dark golden brown.
Be sure to save this simple bread recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Liz the Chef