And it bakes up beautifully! It would be a great breakfast, but I usually serve it as a light dinner with a fresh fruit salad. I’ve also used ham in place of the bacon. You can make your own crust, but I usually resort to a pre-made frozen crust. It’s a great, basic recipe that I think would do well with all kind of additions and variations. My whole family loves it! And I love knowing I have a delicious ready-to-bake meal on hand for those nights (or mornings) when I’m just not in the mood to cook.
Make Ahead Quiche
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- Dash of pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss the flour with the grated cheese. Evenly spread the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust. Top the cheese with the diced ham.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and dry mustard. Stir in the green onions. Pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese.
- Cover the unbaked quiche with plastic wrap, then with foil, sealing the edges well. Place the prepared quiche in the freezer.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Do not thaw the quiche!
- Remove the foil and plastic wrap. Place the foil around the edges of the crust to prevent burning.
- Place the frozen quiche in the oven and bake for about 1 hour, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- To cook the quiche immediately (without freezing first), preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.