Muffins are a popular grab and go breakfast at our house, and these were a big hit with my family. They aren’t overly sweet, and my kids didn’t even notice the whole wheat flour. In fact, I was surprised at how quickly they disappeared.
I love that this recipe makes nearly 2 dozen regular sized muffins, so I can keep some in the freezer for busy mornings. I usually get about 18 muffins, but I like to fill my muffins cups to the brim. You can use all whole wheat flour in this recipe, if you prefer. Frozen strawberries that have been thawed and mashed will also work in place of the fresh strawberries.
Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries, slightly mashed
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease 24 regular muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, oil, brown sugar, vanilla and bananas.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; stir into the banana mixture until just moistened. Gently fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips (if using).
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Allow to cool on wire racks before removing from the muffin tins.