Just keep an eye on them while they’re in the oven. If they start to brown, you’ll have to reduce your oven temperature and/or the cooking time. I find that 1 1/2 inch meringues take about 90 minutes, but smaller meringues (Hershey Kiss size) are done in just over an hour.
For best results, I like to use room temperature eggs and a cold mixing bowl.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 20 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in 1 tablespoon of the crushed peppermint. Drop by spoonfuls or pipe onto prepared cookies sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint over the cookies. Bake for 1 approximately 1 1/2 hours–baking time will vary slightly depending on the size of your meringues. Do not allow meringues to brown. They should be completely dry on the inside.
- When meringues are done, turn off the oven an leave the door ajar. Let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Loosen from parchment with a spatula.
- Meringues may be stored, loosely covered, in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.
Be sure to save this easy holiday candy recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com