There’s nothing better than a delicious breakfast that’s ready to pop in the oven when you wake up in the morning. I was worried that this would be an overly sweet way to start the done, but that wasn’t the case at all. Even with the cinnamon whipped cream. In fact, the cinnamon whipped cream was the highlight of the dish. I loved how it got just a little bit melty on top of the warm French toast–don’t be tempted to skip it and use syrup instead!
This recipe did make much more than we could eat in one sitting, but my boys loved having the leftovers for breakfast for a few days. I’m thinking this would be a perfect Thanksgiving morning breakfast.
Baked Pumpkin French Toast with Cinnamon Whipped Cream
For the French Toast1 (14.5 oz) can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 large loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, plus more for garnish
For the Cinnamon Whipped Cream2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the French toast except for the bread and chopped pecans. Whisk until well mixed. Gently stir in the cubed French bread and toss to coat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 glass baking pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but preferably overnight, so that the bread can absorb the custard.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top of the French toast mixture and bake about for 40 minutes, or until set in the center.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cinnamon whipped cream by using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer to beat the heavy whipping cream together with the sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Allow the French toast to cool slightly before serving. Top each portion with cinnamon whipped cream and additional chopped pecans if desired.