Oh my, this Creamy Bacon Mac and Cheese is soooo good! I dare say it’s the best macaroni and cheese I’ve ever made.
Although it definitely has a more adult flavor thanks to the Gruyere cheese, my kids all loved it too. Because what’s not to love about pasta, cheese and bacon? If you have fresh rosemary on hand, you can use about 4 tablespoons chopped in place of the dried. You can use all Gruyere cheese in this recipe, but I thought the flavor would be too strong for my family. With the mozzarella, it was just right. Plus, it’s a little more economical to use part mozzarella. But the flavor of the Gruyere cheese with the rosemary and bacon is phenomenal! I’m already dreaming about making this again.
Creamy Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 chopped green onions, for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; reserving 1/3 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, combine cream and rosemary in a large saucepan. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and continue to simmer until reduced by half, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir cheeses into cream until melted.
- Stir in cooked pasta along with 1/3 cup of pasta water.
- Cook a few more minutes until everything is heated through.
- Stir in bacon just before serving. Garnish with chopped green onions.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Michael Symon