This is hands down my family’s favorite cake. I actually can’t believe I haven’t shared it already. I especially love making it during the summer months, when so much fresh fruit is in season. You can use any type of fruit you’d like to top this cake. One of my favorite variations is pineapple, kiwi and strawberries.
This berry version though is perfect for Memorial Day or July 4th. I recommend using mostly fresh fruit–any canned fruit you use should be very well drained. The coconut is optional, but it does help keep any juices from the fruit from seeping into the whipped cream.
Fruit & Pudding Cake
- 3/4 of a yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8 oz.) tub frozen whipped topping
- 1 (8 oz.) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or black berries
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix 3/4 of the cake mix with the water and egg until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the milk and mix until smooth. Stir in the instant vanilla pudding.
- Spread the pudding mixture evenly on the cooled cake. Top the pudding layer with the whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the coconut over the whipped cream layer. Top with the pineapple and berries.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.