This is one of the first appetizer recipes I made after getting married. And if I’m still making it 18 years later, you know it must be good! The original recipe had you make little crusts in a mini muffin pan with refrigerated biscuit dough, but once I discovered the little pre-made fillo cups, there was no turning back. You can usually find them in the freezer section near the puff pastry and frozen desserts.
Not only are these delicious, they come together in no time and can be made ahead and frozen. I recommend cooking them from frozen and just adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced dry onion
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 packages Athens mini fillo cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and crumble into a medium bowl.
- Add chopped tomato, onion, cheese, mayonnaise and basil to bacon and mix well. Divide bacon and tomato mixture evenly among the fillo cups.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First: Honestly, it’s been 18 years and I can’t remember where I got this recipe.