BASIL CHICKEN WITH COCONUT CURRY SAUCE — Tender chunks of chicken are simmered in a coconut milk based sauce with plenty of basil and Indian spices.
Coconut milk based curries are one of my absolute favorites, and this Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce is no exception.
Despite the lengthy looking ingredient list, this chicken curry comes together easily. Just make sure you leave enough time to marinate the chicken.
The longer, the better, of course, but even if you forget and throw it all together at the last minute, it will still be delicious.
My husband is not a big curry fan, but my kids devoured this, and to my surprise, they all asked for seconds. There’s nothing I love more than a meal my kids eat without complaint.
I recommend serving this over some hot cooked rice. I also like to throw in a handful of freshly chopped basil just before serving if I have some handy.
If you’ve never tried curry before, this recipe is a great place to start, since the flavors are pretty mild. Even my husband liked it more than most curries he’s tried.
One thing is for sure, this easy chicken curry recipe will be making a repeat appearance at our dinner table very soon.
Be sure to save this Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tender chunks of chicken are simmered in a coconut milk based sauce with plenty of basil and Indian spices.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3-4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl.
- Stir together curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, basil, ginger, garlic and jalapeno, until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine coconut milk, cream and cornstarch and whisk well to combine.
- Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes. Serve over hot rice.
- Serving Size: 6
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.