I can’t tell you how long I’ve been looking for a Mexican rice recipe that I really love. This Cheesy Mexican Rice is it!
This rice is a perfect side dish for tacos, burritos, fajitas…..any of your favorite Mexican themed meals!
Leftovers can be used as burrito filling, or in your favorite Mexican casseroles and soups. My whole family loved this, and it’s the only way I’ll ever make Mexican rice from now on.Print
Cheesy Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Cook until the rice is lightly browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 17-20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook a few minutes more, if needed, until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the cilantro and cheese and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serving Size: 8
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Paula Deen