Sure, these are a little more work than your basic Rice Krispies treats, but it is so worth it! My husband, who claimed he would not like these, ate half the pan himself! The rest of the family finished them off in a day. Think of them as a sort of sophisticated version of the classic treat. The spice is subtle and goes perfectly with the nutty flavor of the browned butter. Honestly, they were so good, I might have to make all of my Rice Krispies treats this way from now on.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash of ground ginger
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- Coat a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Measure the Rice Krispies into a large bowl; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter browns lightly and smells slightly nutty, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir ocassionally to loosen brown bits on bottom of pan. Be careful not to let the butter burn.
- When the butter is browned, remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add the marshmallows and return the pan to low heat. Continue stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the cereal and working quickly, stir to coat the cereal.
- With the back of a buttered spoon (or buttered hands), press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Cool and cut into bars.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First: This is my own twist on classic Rice Krispies Treats.