THE BEST LEMON BARS — A sweet shortbread crust is topped with a thick layer of luscious lemon filling, then dusted with powdered sugar for practically perfect lemon bars.
I’ve tried a lot of lemon bars in my day, and I’ve always been a little bit disappointed in the crust to lemon filling ration–until now! These really are the Best Lemon Bars I’ve ever had!
Just check out that thick layer of lemony goodness! It’s the reason these lemon bars are the best, in my opinion.
These really are the best lemon bars ever! I made this New Years resolution to try 200 new baking recipes this year. With that much baking, my goal was NOT to repeat ANY recipe.
But, that went out the window with this recipe! I’ve had so many requests for more of these lemon bars that I had to make an exception. ~ Heather
And my whole family agrees. They can hardly wait for these bars to cool before they dig in.
To me, a good lemon bar is the perfect dessert for almost any spring occasion, which makes these lemon bars a perfect choice for almost any spring occasion.
You can never go wrong serving lemon bars at an Easter brunch or buffet. If you won’t be feeding a crowd (or several teenage boys), this recipe can be cut in half easily.
I definitely recommend using the parchment paper trick. It makes removing the bars from the pan and cutting them so much easier.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Best Lemon Bars
- Powdered sugar
The Best Lemon Bars
A sweet shortbread crust is topped with a thick layer of luscious lemon filling, then dusted with powdered sugar for practically perfect lemon bars.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
For the crust:
- 3 sticks (3/4 lb.) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan, then line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper. This is optional but will make removing the bars from the pan much easier.
- Make the crust by creaming the butter, sugar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour.
- Using your hands, press the dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Chill the pan while the oven preheats to 350° degrees. Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour the lemon mixture over the crust and bake for about 35 minutes, until filling is set. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least one hour.
- Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: lemon, bars
Wow! These bars are fabulous! They came out perfect! Great recipe – Thank you!! ~ Sherry
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Monica over at Lick the Bowl Good.