I like my chocolate chip cookies soft and chewy, and I’ve experimented for years to come up with a recipe that I LOVE! I think this Best Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is it!
These are even soft the next day, and the day after that . . . the first secret is not to bake them too long. You want to remove them from the oven when they are just barely golden on top.
I also add a few secret ingredients, including a bit of sour cream and some cornstarch.
The cornstarch keeps the cookies from spreading too much, so your cookies are taller, puffier, and of course, softer!
I like to scoop out the cookie portions and then freeze the dough. Whenever I have a cookie craving, I just pop the frozen dough onto a cookie sheet and in 10 minutes I have warm, freshly baked cookies.
To prevent your pre-made cookie dough portions from sticking together, freeze them separately first (on cookie sheets or in a 9×13 pan) before transferring them to their final storage container.
Then you can have fresh-from-the-oven cookies whenever the craving strikes!
Be sure to save this recipe for the best soft chocolate chip cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes with an electric mixer on high speed. Add eggs and vanilla and beat 3 minutes more.
- Stir in sour cream, followed by salt, soda, baking powder and cornstarch. Blend in flour, 1 cup at a time. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookies sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until just brown around the edges.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This started out as the recipe for Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies that circulated years ago, but I’ve made a few adjustments to achieve chocolate chip cookie perfection!