If there’s one thing I can’t resist, is warm, cheesy queso dip, and this homemade Queso Blanco is one of my favorites! I mean, what’s not to love about gooey, melted cheese?
I had to ask for white American cheese at the deli counter, but you might also find it in pre-packaged slices (like those Kraft singles). That will work just as well.
And you can always use regular American cheese in a pinch. Your queso will just be a more traditional orange instead of white. But it will still taste amazing!
I really like the additions of the fresh ingredients in this recipe–everyone will know this queso is homemade, and not from a jar! If you’ll be serving your queso at a party, or for game day, you can make it ahead and reheat it just before your guests arrive.
Try keeping it in a slow cooker set to the low or warm setting. That way it stays warm and melty all evening long! And don’t forget the tortilla chips!
Queso Blanco Dip
Melted cheese, japalapenos and tomatoes come together in this warm, cheesy dip.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
- 16 ounces white American cheese, shredded or cubed
- 4 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a saute pan. Cook the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cheeses and 1/2 cup of the cream. Stir until mostly melted.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, diced Roma tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Serve with chips or fresh tortillas.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Homemade Pico de Gallo
Who Dished It Up First : Adapted from C&C Marriage Factory. You should really go check out her posts on her home renovation. Amazing!