When I saw these posted on my friend Amy’s Facebook page, I had to make them immediately! Admittedly, they are not for everyone. My family, for the most part, wouldn’t touch them with the bacon sprinkles. I loved them!
Of course, I love chocolate covered bacon and that sort of thing. I did leave some bacon-less for the less adventurous people and I must say, even the version without bacon is pretty darn tasty. I found the bacon adds more of a crunch than a lot of bacon flavor. Which is probably a good thing. Don’t be afraid. Make these cupcakes!
French Toast Cupcakes with Maple Frosting and Bacon Sprinkles
Cupcakes3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Maple Buttercream Frosting1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon maple extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- With an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla and set aside.
- Add the egg yolks to the creamed butter one at time, waiting for each one to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Alternately, add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, waiting for each to be fully incorporated before adding the next. Raise the speed to medium and mix briefly until a smooth batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl. Thoroughly clean the bowl of the mixer and put the egg whites inside. Whip the egg whites on high speed, using the whisk attachment, until stiff peaks are formed.
- Working in 3 batches, using a rubber spatula, fold the egg whites into the batter, until just incorporated. Divide the batter evenly among the cups in the muffin pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter and sugar on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the heavy cream and maple extract. Beat until fluffy and well blended.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with crisp, crumbled bacon. May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Who Dished It Up First : Adapted from Life Is Better With Cake