SLOW COOKER CUBAN SANDWICHES — Slow cooked pulled pork, sliced ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard, sandwiched between crusty bread slices and grilled to perfection.
My husband took one bite of these Slow Cooker Cuban Sandwiches and with his mouth full exclaimed, “This is good!” That’s how I know I have a winner!
When we went out for dinner the next night, he wanted to make sure we were still planning to use the leftovers. He couldn’t wait for his next Cuban sandwich!
This sandwich was great, I have always bought Cuban Sandwiches, but now I can make them on my own and love it. I used spicy capicola in place of the ham and it was a nice change. ~ Joe
Turns out, all three of my boys love Cuban sandwiches too. If we eat out and there is a Cuban sandwich on the menu, they will order it. But of course, nothing beats homemade!
Oh, and lots of melted Swiss cheese, plus mustard and pickles. I guess it’s no surprise these are a family favorite!
I used Dijon mustard in my sandwiches, because that’s what I had on hand, but regular mustard or even honey mustard would work too.
If you have a George Foreman (or similar style) grill, it works great for pressing and cooking the sandwiches.
But you can just grill them without pressing, or cook them between two heavy skillets. As long as you have all the delicious fillings, it really doesn’t matter!
We had enough pork for about 8 sandwiches. So the good news is, unless your feeding three hungry teenagers, you’ll probably have leftovers.
Be sure to save this recipe for Slow Cooker Cuban Sandwiches to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Cuban Sandwiches (Slow Cooker)
Slow cooked pulled pork, sliced ham, Swiss cheese, pickles and mustard, sandwiched between crusty bread slices and grilled to perfection.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Cuban
For the pork (pernil):
- 1 (2 pound) pork roast
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the sandwiches:
- Sliced Swiss cheese
- Sliced ham
- Sliced pickles
- Hoagie or sub rolls
- For the pernil: Combine garlic, pepper, oregano or marjoram, olive oil, vinegar and salt.
- Rub pork with garlic mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook in a slow cooker for 8 hours on low.
- Remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread mustard on both sides of a roll.
- Layer Swiss cheese, ham, pickles, pernil, and a second slice of cheese on the bottom of a roll; top with other half of roll.
- Press sandwiches in a panini press or skillet until bread is crispy and cheese is melted.
Keywords: cuban, sandwich, pork, ham
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First : Adapted from Cassie Craves