Back in the day, I attended Brigham Young University. One of the most popular items at the campus cafeteria were these mint brownies. Besides bringing back lots of good memories, they’re perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, with their minty green layer of frosting. Traditionally, the top layer is chocolate frosting, but I figured they would only be improved with ganache. Any way you top them, the combination of chocolate and mint is always a crowd favorite.
BYU Mint Brownies
Brownies1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspooon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Mint Frosting5 tablespoons butter, softened
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
Chocolate Ganache12 oz. chopped chocolate, or chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the brownies, melt the butter in the microwave in a large glass bowl. Stir in cocoa until smooth; allow to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- When butter mixture is cool, stir in the honey, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Blend in dry ingredients until well combined. Add walnuts if desired.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Cool.
- Make mint frosting by mixing together butter, salt, corn syrup and powdered sugar and smooth. Add mint extract and green food coloring.
- Add milk gradually until consistency is a little thinner than cake frosting.
- Spread mint frosting over cooled brownies. Refrigerate to set frosting.
- Meanwhile, make ganache by heating the cream over medium heat until scalding; do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and corn syrup. Stir until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Cool ganache until it is close to room temperature, but still pourable.
- Pour ganache over mint frosting layer and spread evenly.
- Return brownies to refrigerate to set ganache. Cut into squares, wiping your knife clean after each cut.
- Serving Size: 16
Who Dished It Up First : I found the recipe on the BYU Alumni Association’s website