WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILE SOUR CREAM SAUCE — Chicken, green chilies and cheese, rolled in floured tortillas and smothered in a creamy homemade sauce.
My whole family gets excited when these White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce are on the menu! This is probably one of our all-time favorite enchilada recipes.
I love that these enchiladas are so quick and easy to put together, especially with leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
My wife made these for our dinner group and they asked to take the leftovers home. That never happened before. GREAT RECIPE! ~ Toc
Even better, they have a homemade sauce–no canned soups here! Not that I have anything against canned soup, but when it’s this easy to cook without it, why bother?
I do resort to my good friend, the supermarket rotisserie chicken though. It’s such a time saver in recipes like this! This is one of those recipes I use on busy days, because I can make it ahead of time and then pop it in the oven at dinner time.
Yummy! As a mom of two littles that works full time I really appreciate how quickly this went together. Delicious, even our 4 year old asked for seconds. I served it with sliced avocado and green onion. ~ Lindsey
In fact, I actually think these enchiladas taste a little better when I prepare them in advance. This is a recipe I’m always comfortable serving to company, because it’s always a hit! If you like more green chili flavor, feel free to throw in an extra can of diced chilis.
If you have any leftovers (although that rarely happens around here), these are great the next day too. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, chopped green onion also makes a good garnish.
Be sure to save this recipe for White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
This is one of those family favorites that I’ve been making for years, and will be making for years to come. I hope you love these enchiladas as much as we do!
Here’s what you’ll need to make White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce
- Monterrey jack cheese
- Chicken broth
- Sour cream
- Diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro
White Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce
Chicken, green chilies and cheese, rolled in floured tortillas and smothered in a creamy homemade sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped, fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix the chicken together with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Distribute the chicken and cheese mixture evenly among the tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in the prepared pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Continue cooking over medium heat until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Stir in the sour cream and diced green chiles. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the sauce in an even layer over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Keywords: chicken, enchiladas
Made this dish many times and just love it! Big time comfort food meal. The key is to simmer the sauce until nice and thick… but not too thick. ~ Elsa
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First : Adapted from Cassie Craves.