The Oscars are coming up at the end of the month, and this caramel popcorn would be a perfect treat for any Oscar party. I’m not having a party and I’ll probably still make it. It’s also great for the drive-in, if you’re lucky enough to have one of those close by, or just a family movie night.
I like my caramel corn on the chewy side, so I keep the cooking time short. If you like it really soft and chewy, you can skip the baking step altogether. Be sure to pick all the kernels from your popcorn before you add the caramel. You don’t want anyone breaking a tooth!
Oscar Party Caramel Popcorn
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line two large, shallow baking dishes with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place popped popcorn in a very large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Place popcorn in prepared pans and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 30-45 minutes (less if you like chewy popcorn, more if you like it crunchy).
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.