I love having healthy, on-the-go options handy for breakfast, and this is one of my favorites. The cranberries and pecans can easily be substituted with any combination of dried fruit and nuts, or left out all together.
This is a great, basic bran muffin recipe that can be adapted to your tastes, so feel free to try new additions. Even fresh fruits, like blueberries, work well in this recipe. If you want to be really healthy, try using applesauce in place of the oil. I like to make a double batch and keep a supply in the freezer.
Cranberry Pecan Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran or All-Bran Cereal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to buttermilk/bran mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture, until just blended.
- Fold in cranberries and pecans and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.