I’m not a big candy maker, mostly because of all that waiting and stirring. I didn’t even own a candy thermometer until I saw these caramels over at A Farmgirl’s Dabbles. I went out and bought one that very day! If you love cinnamon, especially soft and chewy cinnamon (think cinnamon bears or Hot Tamales) you’ll love these. I couldn’t stop eating them! These do require a bit of patience and a strong stirring arm, but they are well worth it. Keep in mind that not all candy thermometers are the same, but to help with that, you can find a great tutorial on calibrating your candy thermometer here.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup butter, plus some for buttering the pan
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon oil
- 1 teaspoon red food color gel
- Butter a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, cream and butter. Cook, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. This may take up to 30 minutes.
- Remove caramel mixture from heat and stir in the cinnamon oil and red food coloring.
- Pour into buttered pan. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate to set.
- Let caramel sit for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before cutting.
- Wrap individual pieces in wax paper for storing or giving away.