Valentine’s day is right around the corner, and these sandwich cookies are a perfect red and white treat. They’re also really, really good! You could always make the cookies from scratch, but this cake mix version is just right for a sandwich cookie. They’re a little bit chewy and just the right thickness. I find the easiest way to handle the filling is to spoon it into a zip-top plastic bag. Then I snip of a corner and pipe the filling right onto the cookies. You could replicate this cookie with just about any flavor of cake mix, but the red velvet version is definitely a stand out!
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
Cookies1 (18.25 oz.) box red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
Filling4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make cookies, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil and flour.
- Scoop onto lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until tops look cracked. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Mix in milk and vanilla, then beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the center of a cookie. Top with a second cookie and press together until the filling reaches the edges of the cookies.