I’ve tried a lot of marinades for flank steak, but this Marinated London Broil is my favorite. It’s a great way to prepare an inexpensive and otherwise tough piece of meat.
The longer you marinate your London Broil, the more tender it will be. I definitely recommend overnight if possible.
I like to grill mine about 6-8 minutes per side, but your cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your steak and how you like it cooked.
Flank steak and London broil are both the same cut of meat. London broil is actually a method of cooking flank steak.
Nobody really knows where the name originated, but it probably wasn’t in London, England. You will find either label used in grocery stores.
I highly recommend serving this with a side of Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes.Print
- 1 flank steak or London Broil (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- Mix ingredients for marinade in shallow pan or zip-top bag.
- Score meat on both sides in a diamond shaped pattern.
- Add meat to marinade and cover or seal. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Remove meat and broil or grill to desired doneness, 10-15 minutes.
- Let meat rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain and serve.
- Serving Size: 6
Who Dished It Up First: A family friend shared this recipe with my mother years ago.