It looks like a long list of ingredients, but really you’re just throwing everything into a pot, so this soup comes together in no time. It makes a lot, but it’s great for lunch the next day, and you can also put some in the freezer.
I like mine with corn tortillas cut or torn into small pieces, plus all of the optional toppings–but the tortilla strips are a must. Otherwise it’s just spicy vegetable soup. Tortilla chips work too. I usually have the ingredients for this on hand, so I can throw it together at the last minute. Of course, you can always add meat to make this soup even more hearty.
Easy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- Tortilla strips (soft or crunchy)
Optional toppingsSour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and green pepper and saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans and corn and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes. Stir in lime juice just before serving.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a generous amount of tortilla strips. Add optional toppings as desired.
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.