I saw this Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze over at Lick the Bowl Good a few weeks ago and made it that very day. My kids smelled it baking and kept asking when it would be done.
After tasting it, they proclaimed it the best cake they’ve ever had! I think it was even better the next day. In fact, I made it again the same week.
It’s so moist and delicious, and tastes a lot like a caramel apple. What’s not to love about that?
It’s a great fall recipe, but one that I plan on making year round. And I always get asked for the recipe!
If you don’t have any heavy cream, evaporated milk is a good substitute.Print
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups finely chopped apples
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
Brown Sugar Glaze:
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and foamy. Add the oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter until the flour disappears.
- Add the apples and nuts; mix well.
- Scrape the batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack.
- While the cake is still hot, prepare the glaze.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter, vanilla and heavy cream in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the hot glaze over the still warm cake.
- Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving straight from the pan.
- Serving Size: 12