It’s potato salad season, and this recipe for potato salad with bacon is a combination of the many different potato salads I’ve tried over the years. I recommend adding the mayonnaise mixture gradually. I don’t like my potato salad too saucy, so I don’t always use all the dressing.
I think this tastes best when it’s made the day before. You just need to give it a good stir before serving to re-mix everything. I often wait until serving to add the bacon too, because I like it nice and crispy. This is perfect for all those summer barbecues and family reunions.
Red Skinned Potato Salad with Bacon
- 2.5 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry dill
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut potatoes into bite size chunks; do not peel. Cook in boiling, salted water until just tender, 7-10 minutes. Drain and cool. Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy; drain on paper towels and crumble.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and dill.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl, along with chopped eggs, onion, celery and bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir mayonnaise/sour cream mixture into potatoes and mix well.
- Refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Stir in cilantro just before serving.